Positron Emission Tomography (PET-CT Scan)
The most advanced Positron Emission Tomography / Computed Tomography (PET-CT) scanning equipment in nuclear medicine is used in the Asia HK Medical Diagnostic Centre. Compared to previous generations of PET scanners available in Hong Kong, it provides high-definition imaging and more accurate SUV quantification . Positron and computerized scans can be performed within the same exam, and research shows that carrying out both scans at once results in not only a better price for patients but provides a more accurate and effective diagnosis than separately.
PET-CT clinical application
PET-CT is the most widely used cancer diagnosis apparatus. Main functions of the PET-CT are expansive: determine if tumors are benign or malignant, locate malignant tumors, look for primary tumors and detect the spread or recurrence of germs. Thus, users can assess the effectiveness of the treatment and greatly improve the chance of healing.
We provide GA-68 PSMA for the detection of both primary and secondary prostate carcinoma.
- Start fasting (including sweets and chewing gum) six hours before the test, only water is allowed.
- No exercise or lifting any heavy objects one day before the exam day.
- Ten days before the scan, patients cannot accept any barium meal angiography.
- Please drink water only for any medication.
- For diabetic patients, do not take diabetes drugs or insulin injections during fasting. Please bring along the drugs to the centre.
- This scan takes about two hours.
- Depending on different situation of the medication, sometimes a delayed scan is required and the entire procedure will take about three hours.
- Patients with diabetes, please inform our staff prior to the examination. In these cases, we will need more time to prepare for the screening process.
- You may have normal diet and activities. Medications can be resumed as directed by doctors.
- Examine the patient to see radiation levels. Although the body has a trace of radiation, its quantity is very low, so in general, it will not adversely affect the surrounding people or the environment. It is still best to avoid close contact with pregnant women, children or infants.
- Avoiding close contact with pregnant ladies, children or infants is suggested. Although, the validity of the drug used in the scan is short and does not affect surrounding people.
- Radiation will be excreted through urine, so please flush twice and wash your hands thoroughly with soap after using the toilet.
- If you suffer from claustrophobia or are currently breastfeeding, please inform our staff as soon as possible.
- If you are planning for pregnancy or already pregnant, you cannot carry out this check.
- Please bring along your medical records and other reports to the center.
For more detail, please ask our staff when calling for appointment.